One of the great features with all Fuji X Series cameras is the ability to apply various Film Simulations. However when shooting RAW and importing in Lightroom, the Film Sim effects are not carried across. Fortunately Lightroom has added Fuji profiles to allow you to apply these Film Sims in post production.
For those new to Lightroom simply launch LR and go into Development mode, from the right-hand editing pane scroll down to the bottom until you see the Camera Calibration module.
All the Film Sims can be found under the Profile menu, simply select the desired Film Sim and the image will apply the selected effect.
Applying Film Simulation During Import
To speed up the process you could simply select and apply a specific Film Sim during import. By default Lightroom automatically applies the ‘Adobe Standard’ profile to all images imported. Setting up and applying a profile during import is as simple as applying them individually as detailed above.
First you must setup the profiles:
- Import a random/sample RAW file into Lightroom and go into the Develop Mode
- Apply a Film Simulation profile under the Camera Calibration module on the right-hand editing pane
- Once the effect has been applied, click on the + icon located on the Preset module, this will create a new preset profile
- Enter a new of the new preset profile (it is recommended to enter the name of the actual Film Sim i.e. Velvia)
- Ensure only White Balance, Process Version and Calibration are checked, all else are to be unchecked and click Create
Repeat the same steps until all Film Simulation profiles have been created. Now when you import your next set of images simply select which Film Sim you wish to apply from the Develop Preset menu and import.
Once all the images have been imported, they will automatically apply the selected Film Sim profile.